Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

firmware update c6300 ac1750

SimpleUser
Tutor

firmware update c6300 ac1750

It seems Netgear sold me a cable modem that can only be updated by an ISP. Of course, my ISP (TWC) will not update the firmware because it is not their equipment. So, I figure I will try to return the modem as defective to Negear. I do not think this will succeed. So far, I am not happy with Netgear.

Message 1 of 44
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: firmware update c6300 ac1750

Hi @SimpleUser I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Cable modem manufacturers do not do manual firmware updates. All firmware updates must go through the DOCSIS system meaning once ISP's certify the firmware that firmware is uploaded to TFTP and provisioning servers then pushed out to the users modems. So, your ISP is responsible in updating the firmware of your modem.

The latest firmware available for your device is version 2.01.14.

See this article for more information.

Message 2 of 44
SimpleUser
Tutor

Are there magic words I am supposed to use to get Time Warner Cable to update the modem? I asked them and they said that they will not update equipment that is not theirs.

Message 3 of 44
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello SimpleUser

What is the current firmware that your C6300 is on? what issues are you currently having with the modem? And about the firmware you can not get TWC to update just your modems firmware when they approve the firmware it gets pushed out to all customers but the latest firmware for the C6300 just came out a couple weeks ago.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 44
cgs626
Aspirant

Hi SimpleUser,

Do you have any updates since last posting? I am having the same issue (same router same ISP).

This is definitely an eye-opener for future router purchases. I can't imagine there isn't some other way to update the firmware on these routers (USB in back of router?) than "to go through the DOCSIS" system.

TWC did tell me that my modem "would be upodated automatically as all the TWC modems will be compatible with the firmware [once they approve it]". She then said, "Your modem will be updated with the newest firmwares. I have checked twice and confirmed with my supervisor."

I will keep an eye on it and hopefully this will end up being true for all of us in this situation.

P.S. Only starting looking in to this because for some reason my phone connected to my Wireless Network cannot access the web. This only became an issue very recently without me changing anything, so not sure what's going on...

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 5 of 44
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello cgs626

The current firmware for the C6300 on TWC is V2.01.14 this was released not to long ago is this the version you are on?

DarrenM

Message 6 of 44
NBrown
Aspirant

I am having a similar problem as well. One of my computers crashes the router whenever I try to connect to it. Updating the drivers did not help. The computer can connect to every other router I have tried to connect to. My c6300's fiormware is 1.02.19 and I am running on Windows10. TWC cannot and will not push a firmware update because the router isnt theirs and since it is not theirs, I have to get Netgear to somehow update it. When I called Netgear they told me the ISP has to update it and wont help me. Is there anyway I can just get an email or something with the firmware attached to it so I can push the update myself?

Message 7 of 44
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Nbrown 

all the firmware is pushed out by the ISP even if you own the modem I would call them and ask for there Level 3 support they know more about the modems and they can send some hits and re provision the modem so it will update.

DarrenM

Message 8 of 44

I'm having the same problem. They claim they try to update the firmware but say the modem won't except the update and that it reverse to the previous version on its own. And to contact netgear. I'm also having problems with the cellphones connecting to Internet with apps and even my store to download apps

Message 9 of 44
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Foreverlost83

Who is your ISP? and what firmware version is the modem on?

DarrenM

Message 10 of 44

Time Warner Cable  firmware version 1.02.19

Message 11 of 44
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Foreverlost83

Try to have TWC send some hits and reboots to the modem because it should be on 2.01.14 this fixes alot of issues.

DarrenM

Message 12 of 44

Time Warner Cable cold booted the modem and resent the signal. Firmware didn't upgrade, there tier 2 referred me back to you guys saying that the patch you guys gave them to fix the problem did not work...

Message 13 of 44
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Foreverlost83

I just found out that the firmware was never pushed out like I was originally informed it got delayed  very sorry about that right now its still being certified by TWC and should be out sometime soon but I do not have a ETA

DarrenM

Message 14 of 44

Time Warner claimed that patch you guys gave them was released this morning and that all that was needed was a reboot of the modem and if that didn't work then it was a problem with the patch... not sure how to go about getting results without having to buy a new router

Message 15 of 44
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I will let you know what I hear about this usually we get informed when it gets launched it may take sometime for it to be pushed out to everyone.

DarrenM

Message 16 of 44

It's been 11 days since your last response... Is there any solution to this issue or am I left with having to now purchase not only a new modem but also a router not necessarily from netgear...

Message 17 of 44
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Foreverlost83

I have not heard any update on this as it is up to TWC to push out the firmware when they are ready to.

DarrenM

Message 18 of 44

It's ok got tired of having to deal with this issue. Just got rid of the modem and purchased a new one. It's sad that it had to come down to this..
Message 19 of 44
fitnessla82
Initiate

I just got off the phone with TWC and after argueing with them, because I told them exactly what it says on the article you mention http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25477/~/current-firmware-version-for-netgear-cable-mod...  and all i got was a "I am sorry Mr but pushing firmware updates is not something that we do, you have to contact the manufacture and have them send you the updates" 

So who in the heck is supposed to push this damn updade? because so far the only one that is getting screwed on this is the costumer (myself) becasue i cant port forward, i cant assign static ip for any device. 

I'm sick and tired of being pushed around back and forth between Netgear and TWC. 

Message 20 of 44
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello firnesskla82 

I have heard the firmware was certified and is suppose to be pushed out by TWC the first week of June all you should need to do is unplug the modem and plug it back in and the modem should update. If you do not receive the update I would then contact TWC and ask for thier level 3 internet support they know alot more about this than a normal rep and should be able to reset your modem properly to get the firmware.

DarrenM

Message 21 of 44
ericusc
Initiate

Thanks for the update....

I would appreciate, if the following documentation be updated

http://goo.gl/pVi1xp

The aforementioned link just has the following note: "If you determine that you are not using the latest firmware version for your NETGEAR cable modem, contact your ISP and ask for an upgrade to the latest firmware version. This is especially important for Comcast and Time Warner customers who are having connectivity issues." 

Instead, it should say something like, "version 2.02.08 for C6300/TWC is still undergoing testing and is currently not available."  Making the customer call TWC and then TWC to recommend for the customer to contact Netgear is customer support hell.  This type of support from Netgear is extremely irresponsible.  This is my first netgear router (a long time Linksys/Cisco user), so far, Netgear's first impressions have not been pleasant.

Moving forward, as a customer, I expect more/better communication between TWC and Netgear.  It seems like there's some sort of rift between the two.  You guys have been depending on the customer to relay the communication between two companies. Instead of relying on your customers to be the conduit, please do it for us. 

Who's your VP/Director of Support???  This reflects negatively on him/her.  I can't believe this is okay with VP/Director of Support:

Thanks for listening...

-- Just a frustrated customer.

p.s. I've been attempting to upgrade my firmware for months only to find out that it has not yet been released (after being bounced around by both sides, sigh....).

Message 22 of 44
eastcastle
Tutor

firmware update C6300/ac1750

Hi DarrenM,

I am another owner of C6300 combo which has been troubling me over the last month. It has a firmware V1.02.20, not the most current one which may be the (partial) cause of the problem (wifi drops, and upload speed drops from 60s to <10 randomly). The ISP is Charter which does NOT support this particular model (they only support 4 Netgear products, CM400, CM500, CM600 and CG3000D) ! Therefore, they CAN NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE. Netgear has to do it. Netgear has very bad customer supports. Calls almost always reach India with severe accent or back connection, hard to hear ...). I am tired, too, of being pushed between ISP and Netgear ! Please stop this and just fix the problem. We the customers are innocent/victum here, only support your business. Without us, you are nothing. Now tell me please, how to update the firmware MYSELF? Do not play the customers like a pingpang ball, and just fix the problems ! 

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 23 of 44
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: firmware update C6300/ac1750

Hello Eastcastle 

I have sent you a private message.

DarrenM

Message 24 of 44
KayK
Tutor

Hi,

I just came off a live chat with TWC and got my C6300 up-dated to the latest firmware. TWC claims that they auto-updated but this didn't happen in my case (I was still on a v1 firmware last time I checked). The entire procedure wet very smoothly and took less than 5 minutes with no interruptions to internet service (incl. VPN).

So for those who have problem getting TWC up-dating the firmware on their router try the live chat!

Thanks,
Kay

Model: C6300BD-1CXNAS|Docsis 3.0 AC1750 Cable Modem Router
Message 25 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7