Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

netgear genie not compatible with windows 10?

Re: netgear genie not compatible with windows 10?

If the idea is to get the latest version of the Netgear genie, maybe it would work just go to the support pages for your product (or any current product) and get it from there.

Does this work?

http://www.netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx

It is the generic genie home page.

Or is it dishing up an older version?

Message 26 of 118
ERICTOTE
Aspirant

Hi Michael, The idea of Dexter’s post was to go back a few versions of Genie, ie V2.4.12exe, following his suggestions all was going well but from this route, but the final repair link didn’t function correctly. Somehow or the other some life has returned to Routerlogin (reversion as stated earlier) giving me access to a Genie but right now I feel a little uncomfortable on what has or is happening to my settings, Probably earlier setting up fault by me, so for now onwards and upwards to the final resolution.

Message 27 of 118

I realise that this was what Dexter advised.

Your note about the broken link was his reference to where to get the current version of the Netgear Genie.

His link to the latest version of the Netgear genie was broken. The one I provided works. It gets you the latest version of the genie for most current devices.

In other words, I have told you where you can look for the file that you would have got had Dexter's link worked.

Did you try the link I posted? Did you compare it with Dexter's? The two look remarkably similar.

Message 28 of 118
ERICTOTE
Aspirant

Hi again Michael, Yes your link worked OK but it did not offer the way to complete what Dexter indicated. It identified that my Router was included on the listing. As I indicated earlier the Routerlogin appears to be available but have not had the time this weekend to thoroughly check it out. It is the retro version he suggested, for any earlier set up errors I may have made etc, snow clearing etc plus family items. I am aware that both links are identical, but so far appear to giving different results. Would expect it is my own finger problems and in time will identify whats happening. Intend giving time to this tomorrow onward's. Will post results when sorted and tested. Thanks again
Message 29 of 118

Dexter's link had nothing to do with the rest of the process. It was there to get you the file you needed. (If you had the latest version of Genie already, you could have skipped that step.)

First you had to download the software. Then you had to follow the rest of the stuff.

After you have retrieved and installed the software:

6. Look for the same folder under the same location and delete the folder. (see step 4)
7. Replace the folder with the folder that you pasted on the desktop from the working version of NETGEAR Genie.
8. Close the NETGEAR Genie program through the system tray.
9. Re-open the NETGEAR Genie program and check if it works.
10. The version number may display 2.4.12 since it is using the drivers for that version.

Those steps are, as you put it, "the way to complete what Dexter indicated". There is no way that he could do that with a link.

Maybe I am explaining this badly although it seems obvious to me. But perhaps someone else could step in with an even simpler explanation. Or just wait for Dexter to get back to work.

Message 30 of 118
ERICTOTE
Aspirant

Yours and Dexters comments finally solved my problem Ok. working well, took time to confirm that all was working well as specified. Thanks

Message 31 of 118
Pauliee
Tutor

As of January 30, I still cannot get Genie to run on my computer.  I have the latest Windows 10.  I have tried all of the "fixes".  None of them fixes the problem.  All was well until the latest Genie update came out and subsequent Windows 10 updates.  Tried installing ealier versions of Genie, same thing.  I have the Netgear 7000.

Message 32 of 118

Recent Windows 10 updates do seem to have messed up a few things, such as my ability to see (but not to access) network devices in Explorer, but wrecking Netgear Genie isn't among them.

That still works fine here.

I report this simply to help your troubleshooting.

Message 33 of 118
DcSpirou
Aspirant

Re : netgear genie not compatible with windows 10?

Hello to all and to all, please excuse my English because this is a translation. I have myself a problem with Netgear Genie whose several versions I tried (of 2.4.12 to the last version 2.4.20). My problem is not an error of launch of the program which dashes(launches) him(her) very well, only concerns(marigolds), it is that when is I restart the PC or if I him(her,it) put out(switched off) and relights him(it), Netgear Genie does not dash(launch) any more in the starting up. Thank you if somebody knows the problem, I am under Windows 10 Professional 64 Bits.
Cordially
DcSpirou

Message 34 of 118
DcSpirou
Aspirant

I forgot to tell you that I have R7000 and that with Windows 8.1 it worked very well, but since I installed Windows 10 there partition and formating my SSD, Netgear Genie launches well but does not launch automatically in the restart or by putting out(switching off) the PC and relighting him(it) later or later.

Message 35 of 118
jbuyna
Aspirant

As of now Netgear still has not resolved this issue.  I have a Surface Pro 3 and the latest version is crashing.  Very strange that a large manufacture cannot get this right.   Please advise of a solid build version for all Windows 10 systems please.

Message 36 of 118
ERICTOTE
Aspirant

Look back to about mid January 2016 where I had similar problems and was advised by Dexter and another Contributor, which after some thought was the solution to my problems. Took a bit of time and patience but got there in the end,  Good Luck

Message 37 of 118
DcSpirou
Aspirant

Thank you for the answer, but what was the solution that Dexter and another collaborator gave you please?

Message 38 of 118
ERICTOTE
Aspirant

The Dexter and Michaelkenward replies are listed on page 3 of the relative Netgear page where your item of request for help is shown on page 4. You need to troll back up through the individual items to page 3 and look around the dates of 16 Jan to 23 Jan 2016. I try and not rewrite details just in case a Typo mistake is made. Go direct to YOUR item  SUBJECT title by clicking on the subject heading, this should take you to the starting point and from there you look at the items posted. Look on the left of each item posted for who posted it and if necessary click on the REPLY button, to see whether details posted are relavent to help you fix your problem. I have just checked and at this moment the suggestions are still available to view. Have a go and get used to viewing replies and have a satisfactory Sunday. 

Message 39 of 118
DcSpirou
Aspirant

Thank you for the answer, but I had already tried and it gave nothing, of more this help is for those whose genius netgear plants, me he works, but as I the said, when I boost the PC or if I put out him and relight him, netgear genius does not dash automatically and I do not have the icon in the zone of notification of Windows 10 64 bis.

Message 40 of 118
ERICTOTE
Aspirant

I am sorry but I am not a genius in this area of IT. I have a difficulty understanding your problem in the obvious translation details.

Why don't you post a new item in you own normal langauge, there are all types of people out there from all countries that maybe able to help you solve your problem. Keep plugging away to get this resolved, patience is the name of the game.

Message 41 of 118
DeeDeeL
Aspirant

I have a new laptop 64 bit windows 10.  Cannot get Netgear Genie to run.  I cannot connect my netgear R6400 wifi to connect to my laptop.  I was told at BestBuy that the r6400 was compatible to Win 10 but it is not listed on the box.  Do I return it?

Message 42 of 118
Pauliee
Tutor

Don't.  Just delete Netgear from your contacts.  They have refused to fix this long known problem.  I have as of yet never received a fix for this.

Message 43 of 118
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @DeeDeeL,

You should be able to install the R6400 without the NETGEAR Genie program and get it working. Have you gone through the installation procedure? If not, you may refer to the links below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22697

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22717

If you are encountering an error when using the NETGEAR Genie program, you may refer to the following steps as a temporary work around.

1. Install the latest version of NETGEAR Genie. You may use the download link below.

http://netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx

2. Once you have successfully installed the program, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin
3. Delete the drivers folder.
4. Download the drivers for the previous version of NETGEAR Genie using the download link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz-pjmQaYmk6Z0xTX3d3SVFLZ0k/view?usp=sharing

5. Unzip the file to your preferred location (Desktop would be easy to locate). It will contain the drivers folder.
6. Copy the drivers folder that you have just unzipped and navigate back to C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin
7. Paste the drivers folder.
8. Relaunch the NETGEAR Genie program

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 44 of 118
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Pauliee,

We sincerely apologize if the fix is taking longer than expected since the cause has just recently been discovered. Rest assured, we are working on the update to have it fixed.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 45 of 118
Littleharbor
Guide

I feel like I tried this about 40 times in different ways and sizes but I JUST went through the

steps as layed out here by Dexter and everything is working as expected.

Thank you Dexter.

Can't help but be dissapointed with how much time and effort was wasted on this...

Message 46 of 118
Pauliee
Tutor

Did your workaround and it worked.

The problem now is that the chart is so tiny it is hard to read.

I have a  LG Electronics 65UH8500 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV .

Message 47 of 118

Ah, the resolution issue.

A forum search on that might help.

Message 48 of 118
J245
Aspirant

I too am having difficulty believed to be related to Win 10 32 bit.  At first I was not able to access Netgear Genie but the above recommendations to use the older drivers solved the startup issue of Network Genie.  While that allowed me in to Genie, the Network Map will not show. I verified Genie still works on my older laptop running Vista and the network map was correct.  I logged into the router directly from my new Win 10 laptop and pulled up the network map page and verified it was the same as on my older laptop.  But, on my Win 10 through Genie the network map will not display; it continues in a scanning mode with a red dashed line from internet to router and a blue dashed line from the router to my laptop.

Message 49 of 118
Pauliee
Tutor

Why is it taking so long for Netgear to do a fix, makes me wonder if  I should keep using their products.

Message 50 of 118
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7