Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Rax80 smart connect issue wifi dropping

I've owned mine for a year, wifi drops-Tvs, phones, laptops, can reboot and it settles down, but will return.  Basically, you turn off AX and SmartConnect and the wifi is stable.  These tech features don't work on this model with my equipment.  I have a copier connected wifi and it keeps a message log of what is happening, every hour the wifi would drop, re-join, go for 45min to an hour and drop and rejoin.  I really believe the router decides to swap 5g-2.4g constantly.  Figures since turning the smartconnect off resolves the issues. 

I really believe Netgear has become the microsoft of the industry...push out a product to say your first at this tech, but that may not work and rely on firmware/software to fix.  They have been unable to fix on this one. 

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 176 of 184
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks to RayFoxII for the suggestion.
Disabling AX and Smart Connect has cleared the wifi dropout problems for now and my family is off my back now while I configure the new sonicwall to replace it.
Message 177 of 184
Highlighted
Aspirant

I had the same kind of issues on my router. However, my router is working fine now from more than last 2 months. I had upgraded it with the latest firmware and after that there is no connection drops. But there is a catch, I identified that the 5G connection was dropping all the time when I was using my Lenovo laptop having AX Wi-Fi capability. Whenever I was working on that or the laptop is running by itself from the sleep mode to the wake up, the 5G connection of the entire home were lost. Therefore I did more r&d and came to know that something is wrong in the recipient hardware as well no matter laptop or what. I upgraded the Wi-Fi driver of that laptop and the combination of that upgraded driver and RAX 80 firmware, everything is working well. I got some of my confidence back on this router now.
Message 178 of 184
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm not having dropping issues. However, shortly after buying the RAX80 I turned off SmartConnect, then named the 2.4 & 5 Ghz networks exactly the same so that the clients can decide which band to connect to - rather than the router making the decision. I've also setup a 5 Ghz guest network with a different "5G" name so that I can manually connect devices to that network if I choose to.

Message 179 of 184
Highlighted

I have been banging my head against the wall with this router.  I have a number of Wemo mini switches that only operate on the 2.4GHz band along with a number of IoT type devices.   Every couple of days or so, the Wemo switches would sort of randomly drop off the network and at times I could get them back on and other times it was a useless exercise.   After finding this thread, I decided to just turn off "Smart Connect" and put the 2.4 and 5GHz bands on separate SSIDs.  Once I did that, the Wemos all connected immediately as so far have been stable.

I'll probably leave it this way for now.  I'm sure there would probably be finger pointing between Netgear and Wemo on who really has the issue, but the number of replies to this original post makes me think the "Smart Connect" feature is a Netgear "work in progress".   I have the latest firmware loaded (v1.0.3.92) on the RAX80.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 180 of 184
Highlighted
Guide

I think in SUMMARY, these are the fixes:

Setup this router as ROUTER MODE. Do not enable AP Mode (ACCESS POINT). You can disable this under, ADVANCED --> ADVANCED SETUP --> Wireless AP. Make sure it is unchecked. If you have no issues under AP mode good for you.

If in Router Mode - Additionally I made my router have a different "subnet" since it is in ROUTER MODE. This means it will assign IP addresses to those devices that connect to it. My router has 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway and subnet of 255.255.255.0. This can be changed in ADVANCED --> SETUP --> LAN SETUP and then under the LAN TCP/IP Setup.

Under internet tab

If you only have one router it is good practice to assign a static IP to the router for troubleshooting purposes. Usually the default is 192.168.1.1. This is under the internet tab, and scroll down until you see Internet IP address. 

If you have another router in your house and are planning on using it also, make sure this AX router has its own IP address.

For example if your exisiting router has an IP of 192.168.1.1, give your AX router a Static IP Address 192.168.1.2. 

Under the Wireless Tab

Uncheck - Enable AX

Uncheck - Enable Smart Connect

Uncheck - Enable 20/40 MHZ Coexistence

Have a different name for 2Ghz and 5Ghz bands. For example, NG2 and NG5. If you are going to use Guest Networks make sure they have different names as well.

My AX router connected to the internet modem as 192.168.1.2 (I gave it a static IP) as mentioned above.

I also gave it its own LAN TCP/IP 192.168.0.1.

I wanted to keep everything static to make sure the IP addresses weren't changing and had better control of the actions for this router since it is clearly flawed. So essentially this is an AX router with disabled AX capability making it an AC router. It does have a very little bit more range than the Netgear AC routers but definetely not worth the difference in price and headache.

Some of these features might work for you but I had to disable as many as stated above to get a good/stable connection to return to normal.

Let me know if I can help you further as Netgear has left us in the cold

Message 181 of 184
Highlighted
Star

So, basically disable every option why I bought this router. I am using it only as an AP now. Pretty expensive AP
Message 182 of 184
Highlighted
Apprentice

Where I normally buy my IT stuff, these netgear routers are all out of stock with a delivery date unknown so it seems that they are discontinuing this product line...

I can understand this as they are not too good for their reputation to sell something as non functional as this but I was really hoping before they mobbed on we would have a functioning firmware at least.

Does anyone know if there are WRT firmwares in the pipeline for these devices?
Then we'll get some real answers for what is causing these problems...
Message 183 of 184
Highlighted
Aspirant

I  have   purchased this couple of months. I was expecting this to   perform better than my old router  which is ac 1300. But this new product is pathetic. It keeps disconnecting to inetrnet and   it was never stable. I had to restart  the   router   every   now and then.  

I   was   a   big   fan   of   netgear   products   and   I   was   a   promoter of the   product for   a   long   time.   THis   product really sucks and quite   disappointed

Message 184 of 184