× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk MR6500 Pro M6 Battery Overheat; Mobile or Homebase or Both

Mrspethel
Initiate

Re: Nighthawk MR6500 Pro M6 Battery Overheat; Mobile or Homebase or Both

30c device and 32c battery with a two server fan wind tunnel. Without the wind tunnel it was 47c-50c and on a warranty replacement device. I’d hoped it was solely a temp issue. Running battery, plugged in, WiFi only (no Ethernet).
Message 26 of 42
Scoe-z
Tutor

I don't have the battery in, and the device temp sits at 48 - 53 C.

Yesterday I hooked up a pc fan and remove the bottom cover from device then sat the device on the fan. Now it stays at 29 - 33 C. So far it hasn't crashed. I will see how today goes. Oh, and I'm using ethernet.

Message 27 of 42
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Scoe-z wrote:

I don't have the battery in, and the device temp sits at 48 - 53 C.

Yesterday I hooked up a pc fan and remove the bottom cover from device then sat the device on the fan. Now it stays at 29 - 33 C. So far it hasn't crashed. I will see how today goes. Oh, and I'm using ethernet.

Thanks for the update. Please keep us updated on your testing.

Thanks

Message 28 of 42
Scoe-z
Tutor

Well it still crashed. So now I have no battery in it, turned off the fan, and with only 3 devices connected via wifi it is at 47c. For the amount of money paid this is a pain. I have 2 days left to take it back and have no internet.
Message 29 of 42
Scoe-z
Tutor

Is it working?
Message 30 of 42

I’ve been keeping the battery in the device, and while its been “more” (more in quotes because its not that much more) stable, it still seems to overheat and freeze a few times every other day or so. The longest it has worked for me, without freezing, is two days.
Message 31 of 42
Scoe-z
Tutor

I only get a day and a half. I need to make a decision soon this is too much work for the price. Maybe we have a bad batch.
Message 32 of 42

I was thinking that too, but its too late for me to return it if I wanted to. Im also on my second one. Got a new one through a warranty claim and right out of the box it started acting this way. At least the first one worked for a month or so before this issue.
Message 33 of 42
Scoe-z
Tutor

Well, I have an M1 coming today, and I'll see how that works. It's not 5G but if it works, I don't care. Also, I configured the M6 to use passthrough to my router and also put the fan back on it and it has now been up 24 hours. I'm still taking it back, but at least pass through and a fan works better.

Message 34 of 42
georgebanham
Aspirant

Nighthawk M6, MR6110, Battery out plugged into AC home, no wifi for any other devices. just purchased, Supplier/Telco does not answer phone. Help please Thanks

Message 35 of 42
Scoe-z
Tutor

Does it connect to the cellular network?

Message 36 of 42
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@georgebanham wrote:

Nighthawk M6, MR6110, Battery out plugged into AC home, no wifi for any other devices. just purchased, Supplier/Telco does not answer phone. Help please Thanks

Please check whether you see WiFi icon has zzz on it after device boots up. If the zzz overlay doesn't disappear after 1 minute of device boots up, please do a factory reset. If the issue is persistent, please get the a replace device.

Thanks

John

Message 37 of 42
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

AT&T approved the maintenance release to address the data disconnection and Firstnet related issues. The updated has been posted on the AT&T upgrade server. Please do a manual upgrade check if you would like to get the update sooner. But the upgrade will be gradually released to all the devices. 

Thanks

Message 38 of 42
XPLO1T
Initiate

Hi John,

What about for Telstra AU users with the MR6500 that are experiencing the same issue? When will the rest of us receive an update? Currently on firmware below which is the latest I can update to.. 

MR6500-1TLAUS_NTGX65_10.01.38.00_Telstra_01.19

Ethernet, wifi disabled, device overheating, screen becoming unresponsive, requires power cycle to turn on again, battery unplugged.

Message 39 of 42
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@XPLO1T wrote:

Hi John,

What about for Telstra AU users with the MR6500 that are experiencing the same issue? When will the rest of us receive an update? Currently on firmware below which is the latest I can update to.. 

MR6500-1TLAUS_NTGX65_10.01.38.00_Telstra_01.19

Ethernet, wifi disabled, device overheating, screen becoming unresponsive, requires power cycle to turn on again, battery unplugged.

We are working with Telstra to bring in a maintenance release early Q1. These known issues will be addressed in the MR and at the same time, some new enhanced features will be released as well in the MR.

Thanks

Message 40 of 42
XPLO1T
Initiate

Thank you! That's good to know. Shame Telstra is so slow as the device is basically unusable on its current release in this configuration. Lock ups every 2-10hrs, and we are in the middle of Australian summer. 

Message 41 of 42
djazzle
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue. I have the model mr6500 and the constant crashes. The build is from July 2022 and when I check for software updates it says there are none. Can you push an update to my hotspot?

Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7